Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Only in New York?

I love riding the subway.
New York has one of the largest, I think.
Some don't like riding public transport, but I love it. Some of my best stories come from the time I spend on the subway.

For instance, today, I saw the beast and the beauty of the subway.

On my way to school, it was majorly crowded on the train this morning. I hadn't had the best morning since I woke up late. Didn't even get to wash my face or brush my hair. Felt kind of gross. But I was looking forward to my trip on the subway because I wanted to read Fifty Shades of Grey. I just started it. When I got to the subway, I was met with a throng of people in every cart. Luckily, I was somehow able to squeeze myself into one of the carts. In the crowd, there was a big, square cart about average four people wide right dead center. Taking up so much space. A black lady (no racism in the word "black" >.< it's just easier to type) was sitting there, stated her possession of the massive cart by placing her hand on the corner. I wasn't bothered by the cart though because people have the bring their stuff one way or another. To my displeasure though, after a couple of stops, the black lady suddenly gets up, throws her bag on the seat, and starts yelling. "What is wrong with you? Don't touch me!" The subway begins to get so crowded that I assume this korean lady accidently touched the black lady on her way onto the train. The two get into an argument. The black lady goes on accusing the Korean lady of touching her, while the Korean lady denies it. Eventually, it heats up into a racist argument. The black lady goes on to call the Korean lady a foreigner, tells her to "Go back to China!", and that she has no manners. The Korean lady is angry, but doesn't know what to say. Her only defense is, "I'm Korea!" Her English isn't so good, but that's how I know she was Korean. The black lady ignores her statement, and continues to insult the Chinese race, thinking it'd insult the Korean lady...
"Get your green card, and go back to China, you foreigner!"
"Chinese people are so rude and impolite. so dirty! [ruining all the toilets]!"
"Talk English! You don't even know nothing about English!"
"Jesus Christ is the true God! Buddha is the false god!"
"My people built up America. You don't belong here. I was born in America. This is my country! Foreigner!"
It was a continuous string of these statements from the black lady. She continued to ramble throughout the whole train ride. The Korean lady just laughed at her, shook her head, and continued her own business. Knowing it was a fight not worth fighting.

Now, I'd like to first state that... it don't tell a Korean person to go back to China. >___> If you're going to insult a person, at least do it right. Also... Buddha isn't necessarily a god.... he's a person worshipped for being able to reach enlightenment. So he can't be a false god, if he isn't thought of as a god in the beginning(?)
I can't believe she'd make fun of the Korean lady's English when, although choppy, she still made somewhat grammatical sense, whereas the black lady was talking in improper English and spoke with so many double negatives ^^;;....
Her people built up America... but Asians built the railroads and make the majority of products used in America >____>. so I think everyone deserves a little credit here? ^^;.
If the Korean lady was seen to be rude (for accidently touching someone and defending herself from verbal attacks), then the black lady was mean! Insulting someone's race (a race in which half the people of the train was) and yelling in the morning. ALSO, she disrupted my reading ;A;. I re-read the same paragraph like eight times because I couldn't concentrate T^T.

Finally, the train reaches my stop, and I'm able to get off.  I transfer onto the next train. This young and light-blonde lady gets onto the train in a tight fit. She explains that she absolutely has to get onto the train as she attempts to kindly  (or as kindly as you can) push people into the train. Her dark mascara contrasting against her pale, white skin. As she's struggling to get her stuff together, I hear this dark colored man (Hispanic, black, or brown. I didn't get a good look at him) say "Hey, I know you from somewhere." The two of them talk. And eventually, I learn that they're both dancers. In their young mid-twenties most likely. You hear them trade stories, knowledge, and experiences. Their passion was thick in the air while they spoke of their attempts to make what they love into their career. You can even see a bit of chemistry going on between them. or at least a blossoming friendship.

And that's why I think New York is a curious, wonderful place. There's so many different kinds of people. You'll see so many different kinds of things each day. I mean I do at least every time I go to school. It's like mini-dramas in each train :o

No comments:

Post a Comment